Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stem Cells



Everyone has certain views and opinions, and it is normal for people to disagree. However, it is also important for people to be able to openly state their opinions and be able to support them with facts- be able to advocate. The topic that I am advocating for is Stem Cell research. Quite honestly I do not really know why I chose this topic, but I do think that Stem Cells have a very large potential.
For my project I made a short video introducing everyone to what stem cells are. I gave a simple definition and the hidden potential of stem cells as well as the main controversy associated with stem cells. However, the video is very short and does not really explain anything the well, and so I decided to reflect on it by better explaining the subject matter.
The main drive behind stem cells is that they are unspecialized cells, and therefore they can become any type of cell in the body ranging from heart cells to neurons or brain cells. These cells could therefore be used to heal a very wide range of diseases or injuries. Now although all this sounds great, there is a problem, and that is getting these stem cells. Stem cells are naturally found in either bone marrow or in embryos from which they respectively get their names: adult stem cells and embryonic stem cells.
There has been a lot of controversy about embryonic stem cell research because as the name suggests, “embryonic” stem cells can only be derived from an embryo, and thus this is correlated to abortion and the killing of innocent babies. However, this is not true, because from a scientific point of view, the embryonic stem cells that are needed are only found in a blastocyst which forms in the first 5 days after fertilization, or conception. Of course, someone might argue that life starts at fertilization, from where the journey of life begins; but it should be noted that at this point, the only life that is really there is a group of undifferentiated stem cells which could become just about anything that is alive. However, the main truth is that this fertilization is usually done in vitro, that is- it is grown in the laboratory specifically with the intent to be studied.
Although the beginnings of stem cell research were very controversial, there has been a lot of recent progression in the field. With the recent elections, Michigan’s proposal 2 was passed which now allows the donation of embryos produced in fertility clinics that would otherwise be discarded, as well as government funding of stem-cell research. Also, there are plans for the first stem cell operation this summer, where patients with spinal cord damages will be injected with stem cells. These patients are volunteers who can not walk and they are hoping for a cure with the operation. With the proper care, there is a lot that can be achieved with stem cells, and therefore I believe that this research should not be shut down.

6 comments:

ibrahim Haidar-Ahmad said...

i agree
i like the video

Darcy said...

I wasn't able to watch the video because my computer is being stupid and I want to shoot it in the face. Anyway, I liked the position you took, and I agree with you. If they don't get used for medical research, the embryo's will die anyway, and I feel that that is a waste. I'll try to watch the video later though.

Ayii nani!!! said...

I agree.
I agree with the position you took because stem cell research can help save lives.

*T* said...

Wow. I agree with everything that you noted. It was really interesting how you explained everything. I couldn't watch the video, no headphones :[ This is a strong topic, and it's a great one. Your position is firm, and stem cell research is a positive thing in this world. :)

My Classroom Blog said...

Though I disagree with stem cell research, I find you to be a good advocate toward your topic. All your evidence was objective, and your points supported your evidence. The overall paper was well stated. Though your paper was good, I was already aware of the topic. So, I did not learn much more than I already knew.

My Classroom Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.